Friday, December 26, 2008

Comment on 12/26/08, and response

Hi Alicia -- This is Ken from The Herald Sports department.

I was reading your column and have the following comment. I hope you don't think I'm being critical but if I don't tell you, maybe nobody would.

"You're a trooper," I believe, should be, "You're a trouper."

Merriam-Webster says:
: Trouper -- a person who deals with and persists through difficulty or hardship without complaint. You're a real trouper to wait so long.

I used the phrase recently, thought about it, checked it out and I was glad I did.

*****

Good point! And one I should've made in my column. I'll post your comment on my blog archive of my columns, if you don't mind.

I actually copied the phrase directly from the "101 Ways" poster I was looking at, but I should've checked, as you did, on the spelling. For a poster I was critiquing, trusting the spelling to be right was obviously trusting too much!

Alicia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ken - You come across like a potty pouper.